Take $300 per person off on board the Akademik Sergey Vavilov and contact us for further discounts with this Cruise Company.
Maximize your time exploring Antarctica on this unique expedition cruise.
In early December, Antarctica’s snow and ice will be in pristine condition, the penguin rookeries are busy with parents guarding precious eggs and in some locations, we witness nature at it’s very best – observing young penguin chicks emerging into the icy Antarctic world for the first time. Towering snow-covered mountains surround us and the sea ice is starting to break up, opening even more potential landing locations.
This voyage encompasses two additional days of exploration in Antarctica without adding to the total length of the voyage.
Departs from Ushuaia – Return to Punta Arenas
Start & End Dates:
- December 3 – 13, 2018 (Ship: Akademik Sergey Vavilov)
* Includes return flight from King George Island.
Antarctica – Deep South (Extended Circle Voyage)
Departs from Punta Arenas – Return to Ushuaia
Start & End Dates:
- January 8 – 21, 2019 (11 nights – Ship: Akademik Sergey Vavilov)
- February 19 – March 3, 2019 (13 nights – Ship: Akademik Sergey Vavilov)
*Please note that the final cabin price is dependent on configuration, the USD exchange rate and availability.
|Day 1||Ushuaia, Argentina|
|Days 2 to 3||Drake Passage|
|Days 4 to 9||Antarctic Peninsula|
|Day 10||South Shetland Islands and Deception Island|
|Day 11||King George Island and Punta Arenas, Chile|
Day 1 — Ushuaia, Argentina
We start our journey in Ushuaia, Argentina. Excitement is in the air as we enjoy a welcome cocktail, dinner and cast off, bound for Antarctica and the adventure of a lifetime.
Sailing south towards Antarctica we will be joined by hundreds of seabirds including the wandering albatross. Improve your photography skills or join the ship’s Captain on the bridge and learn about the operations of our modern expedition vessel.
The waterways of the Antarctic Peninsula are home to deep bays, pristine coves and inlets and numerous small islands. Rocky outcrops, known as ‘nunataks’ are home to Gentoo, Adelie and chinstrap penguin rookeries and the waters are rich in marine life. We frequently encounter seals, including the powerful leopard seal, usually found hauled out on an ice floe. Curious humpback whales and the smaller minke whales are present much of the time as they feed on the vast schools of krill. Sightings of orca are not uncommon. Every day we plan an exciting range of activities, including guided hikes on shore (both short and long), visits to wildlife colonies with our expert naturalist guides, as well as zodiac cruising. Zodiac cruising or sea kayaking among the ice, searching for seals and whales is a memorable activity. Planned excursions along the Antarctic Peninsula may include Cierva Cove or Mikklesen Harbour, Danco Island, the Melchior Islands and Fournier Bay – or a cruise through the Errera Channel to visit the gentoo penguin rookeries at Cuverville Island. Wilhelmina Bay is another favourite location and one where we frequently encounter playful humpback whales. It is somewhere along this stretch of coastline that we plan a night on shore, camping in Antarctica. We have all the right gear and equipment and an expert team to make it happen.
After several busy days of exploration along the Antarctic Peninsula, we head for the South Shetland Islands. The adventure is not over and if the weather conditions allow, we sail the ship into the flooded volcanic caldera at Deception Island. This is a very dramatic location. History is all around us as we explore the old whaling station and airport hangar. There are several superb hikes and an opportunity for a swim – the ‘Polar Plunge!’ We head north-east, cruising along the pristine coast of Livingston Island, which on a sunny day is always a memorable experience.
This morning we say goodbye to our expedition team and transfer ashore by Zodiac to board our special charter flight back to South America. This flight takes a little over two hours and is included in the price of your voyage. Upon arrival into Punta Arenas a transfer from the airport into town is provided. This itinerary includes a complimentary hotel night in Punta Arenas for all guests returning from King George Island at the end of the voyage. This evening is at your leisure.
- Includes return flight from King George Island.
- Educational presentations from experienced guides such as ornithologists, glaciologists, historians, geologists, naturalists and marine mammals experts.
- Photography advises and instructions from the resident photographer. Extended photography workshops available on select departures
- All zodiac and landing excursions.
- Zodiac cruising, hiking, guided walks, photography workshops, fitness & yoga.
- All meals during the voyage prepared by One Ocean Expeditions chefs.
- Welcome reception & welcome dinner.
- One Ocean Expeditions Farewell dinner hosted by the Captain.
- Daily afternoon tea with fresh snacks.
- Coffee, tea & hot chocolate available anytime.
- Access to wellness area (Finnish Sauna, Plunge Pool filled with sea water, Hot Tub).
- Natural essential oil amenities.
- Services of English speaking medical officer.
- Use of multimedia room to download images. Lightroom, Adobe, Photoshop and card readers are available for use on MAC and PC computers.
- Windproof/waterproof jacket and bib pants.
- Comfortable insulated rubber boots.
- Water resistant binoculars.
- Waterproof backpack.
- Trekking poles available on shore.
- From/ to designated meeting points to/from the ship.
- Additional transfers in welcome / departure cities (only applicable on certain departures).
- Luggage transfer from designated locations to/from your cabin.
- International airfare
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
- Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- Excess baggage charges
- Waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
- Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
- Phone and internet charges
- Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
- Additional overnight accommodation
- Optional kayaking activities
- Sea Kayaking at an extra cost of US$695 – Arctic & Torngat Explorer (Canada’s East Coast ‘Fins and Fiddles’ & ‘Golf Expedition’ sea kayaking is complimentary), US$795 – Antarctic (Epic Antarctica: USD1590, Chilean Fjords: USD495) per person. Pre-registration required at time of booking. Confirmed access to kayak at any offered excursion. Limited to 16 passengers per voyage. Includes high-quality kayaking equipment.
- Sea Kayaking, Stand up Paddling and Cycling including gear free of charge (Fins and Fiddles and Golf Expedition departures only).
- Overnight Camping (Antarctica only, included in the voyage price) including high-quality equipment. No pre-registration required. Camping is available on select departures only and can be affected by itinerary and weather conditions. Please see your full itinerary for further details.
Travel Just 4U has competitive South America Flights to get you to the starting point of your chosen Holiday. Contact one of our Travel Consultants for a full quotation including airfares, stopovers and any additional travel you wish to organize.