The vessel has the highest ice-class notation (UL1, equivalent to 1A) and is therefor suitable to navigate in solid one-year sea ice as well as loose multi-year pack ice. Ortelius can accommodate up to 108 passengers and has an abundance of open-deck spaces. It is manned by 22 highly experienced nautical crew members, 19 hotel staff, eight expedition specialists (one expedition leader, one assistant, and six lecturer-guides), and one doctor.
Ortelius was originally the Marina Svetaeva. Built in Gdynia, Poland in 1989, it served as a special-purpose vessel for the Russian Academy of Science. Later it was re-flagged and renamed after the Dutch/Flemish cartographer Abraham Ortelius (1527 – 1598), who in 1570 published the first modern world atlas: Theatrum Orbis Terrarum or Theater of the World. At that time his atlas was the most expensive book ever printed.
|Departure||Return||Duration||Itinerary||AUD Price Range *|
|Departure: 25 Oct 2021||Return: 14 Nov 2021||Duration: 21 days - 20 nights||Itinerary:||AUD Price Range: $25,350 - $30,250*|
|Departure: 13 Dec 2021||Return: 3 Jan 2022||Duration: 22 days - 21 nights||Itinerary:||AUD Price Range: $31,180 - $37,350*|
|Departure: 3 Jan 2022||Return: 13 Jan 2022||Duration: 11 days - 10 nights||Itinerary:||AUD Price Range: $16,580 - $19,850*|
|Departure: 19 Mar 2022||Return: 1 Apr 2022||Duration: 14 days - 13 nights||Itinerary:||AUD Price Range: $17,420 - $20,500*|
|* All prices listed are per person in AUD based on a Twin cabin share. Contact us for Triple or Quad cabin shares for lower pricing.|
Quadruple Room Porthole
Triple Room Porthole
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- Luggage transfer from pick-up point to the vessel on the day of embarkation, in Ushuaia.
- Pre-scheduled group transfer from the vessel to the airport in Ushuaia (directly after disembarkation)
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Passport and visa expenses.
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is strongly recommended).
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
*Note that we will quote flights for you when provided with your desired travel dates. Costs will vary depending on your travel dates.